AMC Accreditation of the Department of Health as an Intern Training Accreditation Authority
AMC Accreditation Report – Queensland Department of Health – Prevocational Medical Accreditation Queensland 2021
Review of the National Framework for Prevocational (PGY1 & PGY2) Medical Training
The Australian Medical Council (AMC) is reviewing and developing a two-year framework for prevocational (PGY1 and PGY2) medical training. Further information can be found at the AMC website.
- The review of the National Framework for Medical Internship, which in 2014 replaced state-based internship requirements and complemented new national registration requirements of the Medical Board of Australia.
- The development of a two-year Capability and Performance Framework, Entrustable Professional Activities (EPAs) and specifications for an e-portfolio, on behalf of the Health Chief Executives Forum (previously Australian Health Ministers’ Advisory Council). This work arose from Health Ministers’ 2018 response to the 2015 Review of Medical Intern Training.
In late 2021, the AMC provided PMAQ and the PMAQ Accreditation Committee with an update following the latest round of consultation. Some key points of interest included:
- 2022 will be a “Preparation” year
- 2023 – 2024 will be “Phased implementation”
- There will be clear milestones in 2023.
- Setting up assessment panels, training supervisors, reviewing terms etc
- Reviewing national standards for PGY2
- Focused consultation with Qld stakeholders about the implementation of PGY2 will be provided.
Final documents are expected to be released in early 2022.
For details, please see Review Update National Framework for Prevocational Medical Training December 2021
- Part 1 – AMC Prevocational Framework Review – Consultation paper
- Part 2 – AMC Prevocational Framework Review – Consultation questions
- ATTACHMENT A – Training and Assessment – Final draft for consult
- ATTACHMENT B – Training Environment – Final draft for consult
- ATTACHMENT C – Quality Assurance – Final draft for consult
- ATTACHMENT D – High-level specifications for prevocational e-portfolio – Final draft for consult
See below links to view the Queensland Department of Health consultation responses.
Round 1 Consultation – November 2020 – Qld response
Round 2 Consultation – April 2021 – Qld response
Last modified: 24 March 2022